Vein Clinic Great Neck NY | Spider and Varicose Vein Treatment | Vein Specialist Centers
In healthy leg veins the surrounding muscles, combined with the elasticity of the vein walls and vein valves, ensure the blood is transported against gravity from the legs to the upper body. If the vein valves no longer function properly, or the elasticity of the vascular walls weaken, a so-called venous reflux, a blood build-up in the legs, occurs. This enlarges the vein walls causing varicose veins to develop. Pain, swollen or heavy legs and skin changes can follow. If left untreated, such symptoms can worsen over time resulting in leg ulcers and other complications.
The evolution of vein treatment has been quite amazing. In this article, we describe the past, present and future of vein treatment:
- The Future: Echotherapy
- The Present: Endovenous Vein Ablation
- The Past: Vein Stripping
The Future of Vein Treatment
The surgery-free treatment using therapeutic ultrasound
TREATING VARICOSE VEINS WITHOUT SURGERY
SONOVEIN® is currently available in select European countries after receiving CE-mark approval. It will be reviewed in clinical trials in the United States before FDA considers approval. SONOVEIN® represents the first robotic solution for a 100% non-invasive echotherapy treatment of varicose veins. Unlike current endovenous procedures, the treatment is performed completely outside the body. There are no catheters, incisions or post procedure scars. SONOVEIN® is directly operated by the vein specialist without any significant preparation. Patients can resume their normal daily activities immediately after treatment.
HOW ECHOTHERAPY WORKS
Discover the only non-invasive “vein surgery”: No scars and no incisions.
Vein ablation by echotherapy and radiofrequency have identical tasks – the elimination of source (feeder) veins into symptomatc varicose veins. The main benefit of echotherapy over current therapies available in the US is being completely non-invasive.
The high-intensity ultrasound beam (HIFU) is focused on the vein. A pulse of therapeutic ultrasound is then delivered for a few seconds at the target segments of the diseased vein. As the thermal energy is delivered, the vein shrinks and is sealed closed, similar to other endothermal methods – but non-invasively. Pulses are provided until the complete target area is treated.
BENEFITS OF ECHOTHERAPY
Immediate Return To Activity
The Present of Vein Treatment
We look forward to future technologies including Echotherapy, but in the meantime, current therapies remain the gold standard for varicose vein treatment. Echotherapy will need to prove as effective and safe as vein ablation before large scale adoption in the United States.
At Vein Specialist Centers, we treat patients with venous insufficiency using the latest available technology:
- VenaSeal: Like most other vein treatments today, VenaSeal is also catheter-based technology. However, unlike ablation, the catheter is used to inject a medical adhesive that fuses the diseased vein closed. Over time, the vein is reabsorbed by the body.
- Radiofrequency ablation: Catheter-based technology that delivers radiofrequency generated heat to the blood vessel walls. The procedure is done with only small amounts of local anesthetic and can be completed in less than 30 minutes.
- Ultrasound Guided Sclerotherapy: A medicated solution is injected in either liquid or as a foam. The medication acts as a sclerosant and disrupts the walls of diseased veins causing them to collapse and eventually be absorbed. Cryosclerotherapy is an innovation on the traditional method to provide a near painless experience.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy: Requires the most skill and patience, but still is minimally-invasive. Tiny incisions are made over large, protuberant veins so that they can be directly removed. Unlike stripping, these procedures are done within the office and patients do not require any downtime. The best part, any large visible varicose veins are immediately removed leading to dramatic skin improvements.
Benefits Of Minimally-Invasive Vein Treatments
Gold Standard of Vein Treatment
Safe and Effective
The Past of Vein Treatment
Vein stripping is an outdated procedure for treatment of varicose veins. In fact, most modern vein clinics do not offer vein stripping with the availability of more safe and effective treatments like vein ablation.
What Is Vein Stripping?
In this dated procedure, the surgeon would remove the saphenous vein using mulitple incisions to strip the vein. The procedure is performed in the hospital with administration of general anesthesia. It was a truly invasive surgical method requiring weeks of recovery and increased risk of complications.
Vein Specialist Centers
We hope you are excited about the future of vein medicine. Echotherapy, Cryosclerotherapy, Vein Ablation will be standard of excellence for spider and varicose vein treatments. The Vein Specialist Centers in Great Neck NY are dedicated to providing the most up-to-date therapies for safe and effective treatment of vein disease. If you have questions about vein treatment, we encourage submitting a consultation request or calling us at 516-464-1699.