What Is The Treatment For Varicose Veins
June 27, 2020
We understand that patient’s are rightly concerned about getting the right diagnosis and treatment for vein disease. Your vein health is incredibly important and having an experienced vein doctor can be the difference between relief and disappointment. To that end, we have put together this simple guide to help you find the best vein doctor for spider and varicose vein treatment.
What Are Varicose Veins?
Varicose veins occur when the superficial leg veins become enlarged and overfilled with blood due to dysfunctional valves. The condition affects approximately 40 percent of all adults with a greater likelihood in women. Symptoms are common and often under-reported due to lack of awareness or even embarrassment. However, because untreated vein disease can have significant long-term consequences, patients should be aware of the most common symptoms experienced:
- Leg pain
- Restless legs
- Leg cramps
- Skin discoloration or leg ulcerations
In advanced cases, active or healed ulcers can be present on the ankles or shins over diseased veins. These areas are at risk for non-healing, infection, and bleeding when left untreated. It is important to understand that varicose veins are not always visible and long term effects from untreated disease can still be serious. Because of this concern, any unexplained leg symptoms should be evaluated by a qualified vein specialist.
What Causes Varicose Veins?
Blood is returned to the heart by a network of veins in the legs. There are both superficial and deep veins that form this highway of veins, however it is our superficial veins that are most vulnerable to venous insufficiency. In general, blood is prevented from falling backwards with gravity due to muscle function and valves. When the valves in your superficial veins become dysfunctional, the blood accumulates in the legs causing swelling, pain, and heaviness from varicose veins. The common risk factors for varicose veins include:
- Genetic predisposition
- Standing or sitting for prolonged periods of time
Who Treats Varicose Veins?
A vein specialist is a doctor that specializes in treating spider and varicose vains and the underlying condition, venous insufficiency. A qualified vein doctor will have completed formal training in endovenous procedures during either a residency or fellowship in vascular surgery or interventional cardiology. Vascular surgery, Interventional Radiology and Invasive Cardiology are formally recognized by the American Board of Medical Specialties certified to perform endovascular procedures.
Varicose Veins Treatments
Treatment is essential if you are experiencing symptoms such as leg pain, leg swelling, skin discoloration or restless legs. The treatment can be as simple as appropriate lifestyle changes and compression stockings. However, for some patients, conservative measures can be insufficient and additional treatments may be warranted. Vascular treatments including those for veins should only be performed by a board-certified vein specialist.
Minimally Invasive Varicose Veins Treatments
Varicose vein removal and treatment of venous insufficiency has evolved from the days of vein stripping. Instead, today’s procedures are minimally-invasive and suited for all types of vein conditions. Best yet, they are done without the need for sedation (unless requested by the patient) and are performed in under 1 hour.
These minimally invasive treatments for varicose veins include:
- VenaSeal: Like most other vein treatments today, VenaSeal is also catheter-based technology. However, unlike ablation, the catheter is used to inject a medical adhesive that fuses the diseased vein closed. Over time, the vein is reabsorbed by the body.
- Radiofrequency ablation: Catheter-based technology that delivers radiofrequency generated heat to the blood vessel walls. The procedure is done with only small amounts of local anesthetic and can be completed in less than 30 minutes.
- Sclerotherapy: A medicated solution is injected in either liquid or aerated form (foam sclerotherapy). This medication acts as a sclerosant and disrupts the walls of diseased veins causing them to collapse and eventually be absorbed.
- Ambulatory Phlebectomy: This requires the most skill and patience, but still is minimally invasive. Tiny incisions are made over large, protuberant veins so that they can be directly removed. Unlike stripping, these procedures are done within the office and patients do not require any downtime. The best part, any large visible varicose veins are immediately removed leading to dramatic skin improvements.
- Clarivein: Another catheter-based technique with some special uses in certain varicose vein anatomy. In this case, mechanical force and sclerosant are used to eliminate diseased veins.
Finding the right vein specialist is the most important step towards getting the right diagnosis and treatment. The Vein Specialist Centers are a premier destination for spider and varicose vein treatment. Our team of vein specialists have been carefully selected based on their training background, reputation, and favorability rating with patients. The experience has been great for our patients and we look forward to helping you. Contact us today to schedule your consultation.
Dr. Brotman O’Neill
Harvard Trained | Vascular Surgeon / Vein Specialist
Dr. Alissa Brotman O’Neill is an accomplished vascular surgeon and vein specialist and skilled in applying cutting-edge, minimally-invasive endovascular technology of the aorta and peripheral arteries.
Schedule a Consultation
Our vein centers in NJ and NY provide a personalized approach for spider and varicose vein treatment. Book a consultation now, we’re looking forward to assisting you.
Our Vein Centers
We pride ourselves on providing the best spider vein and varicose vein treatments to patients in New Jersey and New York.
10 Forrestal Road South
3848 Park Avenue, Ste 101
03. Mt. Laurel
4000 Church Road
Mt. Laurel, NJ
2 Sears Drive, Ste 101
905 Allwood Road, Ste 105
342 Hamburg Turnpike, Ste 202
501 Iron Bridge Road, Ste 2
08. Long Island
560 Northern Blvd #204A
Great Neck, NY
Request an appointment
We are one of the top spider vein and varicose vein treatment centers in the Nation, offering the latest treatments and the most state of the art technology. Our vein treatment center sources the best vein doctors and specialists from around the world.
Enter your information below to get started
Questions? Call Us
By emailing us or contacting us via web form, you are accepting the inherent privacy limitations of online communication. For more information about internet privacy, please read our Communication by Email/Text document. Please respond “stop” to text messages to opt out.